its about life in a moment.. its about a moment in life. there's a difference, you know. can you see it?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

a hard question to ask

I just had a thought this morning that I wanted to write down so I wouldnt forget it... A friend of a friend recently adopted a little baby boy, but has just found out that the grandmother has come forward saying she wants the boy. One thing I prayed for was that God would ultimately place the boy wherever he needed to be so that he would one day come to know and love the Lord. This prayer led to me grappling with some ideas. First - that Christ died for the sins of all people, not just some. Not everyone chooses to believe in Christ and live in light of that belief, and I think God knows the hearts of everyone - He knows who will come to believe in Him. And I believe that God does not force people to believe. But even knowing that not everyone would come to believe, Christ still died for All, not some. I think it's in 1 Timothy that Paul encourages Timothy to preach the gospel that Some would come to believe. Paul didnt encourage Timothy with the idea that all would come to believe, just some. There's something about this that just sticks in my mind - Christ paid for all sins to be forgiven so that all could find forgiveness in Him even though He knows full well that many will never accept this forgiveness. I'm in awe of something like that...was there a way for Christ to die a lesser death to only take the penalty of the sins committed by those who would one day choose to believe in Him? With God, all things are possible, but I could never see God acting that way.
The question that I dont want to ask, though, is why God allows people to be born on this earth if He knows every choice they'll ever make, including whether or not they'll one day come to believe in Him? To allow someone to come onto this earth knowing that person will never accept Christ's forgiveness for the debt they owe... most Christians believe that if you dont believe in what Christ did, when you die you go to hell. But to me, when I think in that order, its like saying God allows people to be born knowing that their eternity is in hell and not with Him.
I'm not saying what I believe here... I've never thought about these questions, so I wanted to write them down so I could think about them in the future! Feel free to share your thoughts

1 Comments:

Anonymous burnshead said...

You can also ask why God would allow anything to happen on earth that has negative consequences for us - earthquakes, and war, and disease. Why does God allow these things to happen knowing it will cause harm to his creation?

The old argument is about a parent and a child. The parent knows the stove is hot, and tells the child "don't touch the stove - it's hot and will burn you". What is love? To allow the child to touch the hot stove and therefore learn what "hot" and "dangerous" means. Or is love isolating the child in a padded room where he never has any interaction whatsoever and is completely protected from all harm.

God is love. But would his love be "greater" if he forced us to believe in him? Or is his love amplified by allowing us the choice?

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home